I love them. I love them not.

Well today’s Emmy nominations are certainly different from last year. I’m not sure many people will be claiming victory for the new voting system, though. Some surprises: Lost and Desperate Housewives were shut out of the major categories. That’s right, last year’s winner for best drama series is not in the running this year, and none of the women of Wisteria Lane are up for best actress in a comedy (Alfre Woodard did get a best supporting actress nod). Two Men and a Baby got a lot of love, but My Name is Earl didn’t. Kevin James got a nomination for King of Queens, but no Jason Lee, or Jason Bateman, or Zach Braff.

It seems to me that more mainstream shows got more nominations, rather than shows from the smaller networks. Except while Lauren Graham of Gilmore Girls and Kristin Bell of Veronica Mars are not in the running, Denis Leary of Rescue Me (on FX) and Kyra Sedgewick of The Closer (on TNT) are.

I’m sure I’ll write something for Blogcritics later, but for now, I have to get my House fangirliness out of the way. Because the biggest shock? Hugh Laurie did not get a nomination. This isn’t a case of “I love the show, so of course he should have.” He was nominated last year, he won the Golden Globe and Television Critics Association awards, he was on nearly every prognosticator’s list. On the list for best dramatic actor instead: Peter Krause of Six Feet Under, who I like a lot, but wouldn’t pit against Laurie, or Christopher Meloni of Law & Order: SVU, who I have no opinion about, but wasn’t on anyone’s radar that I saw, plus Martin Sheen of The West Wing (who I didn’t know was still a lead on that show, but I haven’t watched this season), Keifer Sutherland of 24, and Leary.

But the Emmy voters have ensured that I don’t feel I have the right to complain too much (so will instead seethe inwardly for the next year): House did get a nomination for best drama series. Given the surfeit of good dramas on the air right now, I thought House‘s procedural elements would work against it in the series category. I’m very happy to be wrong.

But after last year’s win in the best writing category, they snubbed the writer of the episode the show submitted overall, the one that, theoretically, Emmy voters judged when deciding it was one of the best series. “Autopsy” won Lawrence Kaplow the Writers Guild Award this year (though to be fair, because of the different voting seasons, it was competing against a different crowd), and had great buzz as a potential nominee on Gold Derby’s forums. So I’m disappointed it wasn’t singled out in the Emmy writing category.

If it seems I’m running the Larry Kaplow Fanclub, it’s coincidence. My interview request last year was for any one of the House writers. Turns out, the guy who drew the short straw had written some of my favourite episodes – “Detox,” “Autopsy,” “Control” – and ended up later winning the WGA Award and then getting Emmy buzz. So it’s not my fault I keep writing about the man. It’s his. Blame the talent. And now the Emmys.

Anyway, this might come as a shock, but I’m actually a pretty big fan of everyone involved with House. I just can’t seem to find a way to write about the key grip or foley editor. Today, I have an excuse to mention some of the lesser known names involved with the show, though. Other House nominees are:

Outstanding Single-Camera Sound Mixing For A Series
Euphoria, Part 1

• Gerry Lentz, Re-Recording Mixer
  • Richard Weingart, Re-Recording Mixer
  • Russell C. Fager, CAS, Production Mixer

Outstanding Art Direction For A Single-Camera Series
Autopsy,” “Distractions,” “Skin Deep

• Derek R. Hill, Production Designer
  • Danielle Berman, Set Decorator

Outstanding Casting For A Drama Series

• Amy Lippens, C.S.A., Casting by
  • Stephanie Laffin, Casting by

I’ll try to be happy for the show as a whole instead of focusing on the Hugh Laurie snub. But …

Complete Emmy nominations are here.

This entry was posted in House. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to I love them. I love them not.

1. Elen says:

You’re a better woman than I. While I’m thrilled that House was nominated, I’m still seething about the snubs for acting and writing. What were they thinking? House isn’t anything without the writers and, well, House himself.

The Emmy voters (for themost part) can suck Spader balls.

2. wcdixon says:

Oh well…makes little sense – never does. Hopefully Laurie got a big pay raise instead.

3. di says:

The nominations are a disaster. (Although I’m happy for Scrubs and I do really like Grey’s Anatomy.) The Hugh Laurie snub wouldn’t be so bad if all of the nominees in his category were fantastic, but they’re not. Not to say that Peter Krause or Christopher Meloni aren’t decent actors, but I personally feel that the material they were acting wasn’t as complicated, or as “deep” as the House material is. (The lack of a writing nom upsets me too.) And I didn’t watch the entire season of The West Wing either, but Martin Sheen was definitely NOT in many of the episodes that I did see.

I understand that awards are subject to personal opinions, but it irks me that the majority opinion lacks the need for depth that I so crave out of television. I think that’s the problem anyway…some of the nods were just baffling and seemed to be based on ancient popularity — or I even wondered if there was possibly some slipping of money under a few tables.

Bleh. Maybe I’ll just have to settle for feeling self-satisfied in my little world where quality matters more to me than vapid numbness like Two and a Half Men. :/

4. Diane Kristine says:

Well, Elen, I think I just hide it better – it’s the inwardly seething thing I have mastered. That was the “But …” at the end. I’m upset with the writing and acting snubs, but I can never take the Emmys or awards in general all that seriously anyway – like wcdixon says, they never do make sense.

I did do a little half-joking mini-rant that probably represents my mood a little better than this post does, as a comment on DMc’s post (because he rightly figured I might be in a bad mood today):

No, no, I’m fine. I’m bottling up my rage and focusing on the happy news that the show got a nomination. Never mind that the performance EVERYONE BUT THE F***ING EMMY VOTERS thinks is Emmy worthy didn’t get a nomination. I’m fine. Good for F***ING CHRISTOPHER MELONI. House got a nomination for best series and I’m happy. Even if the writing didn’t. That’s fine too. Just F***ING FINE.

5. Anonymous says:

Its the end of the day and I am still blown away, hollowed out really, by the failure to nominate Hugh Laurie in the best actor category. A classy act by Martin Sheen would have been to put himself in the supporting actor category given the little he worked this season. Meloni, Sutherland, and Leary are worthies, but work in limited roles without variety or range. Of course the writing snub for House was incredible, but I am glad that the show as a whole was honored. Maybe voter remorse will set in and House will get a sympathetic shove into the winner’s circle.
    Carol

6. Anonymous says:

It’s small wonder Hugh Laurie was robbed again for an Emmy!!!! Last year, he was robbed because the a**holes in the “Academy” of Television Arts and Sciences did not want to see a foreigner win on his first attempt at an award he richly deserved!!! This year shows that these same a**holes are just plain stupid!!!! What they should do with the Emmys is allow not the “Academy” to vote but a much more knowledgeable body such as the American Film Institute to vote instead. The AFI has already honored the show–so I think they can be counted on to restore some credibility to the Emmy Awards as well!!!!

7. Elizabeth M. says:

I’m trying to be all highbrow and say the awards don’t matter – the quality of the work does. But no nomination for Hugh Laurie? No nomination for Kaplow? Wow – talk about “no reason.”

And if it makes you feel better, D., you’re totally not alone in the Kaplow love. I’ll be the first to admit that Autopsy took a very long time to grow on me. It’s hard to watch on a number of levels. You just have to love a show that isn’t afraid to challenge its viewers. I still don’t get it – Autopsy sealed the deal for a Best Drama nod but didn’t make the cut for Writing? No one is going to accuse me of being a math genius, but that just doesn’t add up.

Ah, well… I have to admit that some of my disappointment is purely selfish. I really wanted to hear Hugh Laurie give another acceptance speech. Hell – someone should give him some sort of award for the one he gave at the Golden Globes. Maybe they’ll add that category to the Emmys next year…

8. averagedrinker says:

you’ve got good choices when it comes to tv. i’m not the tv girl so ic an’t really tell which can win an emmy or not. but i guess my critique has improved since i started chatting on webdate. some friends of mine support shows on tv especially on primetime.

Comments are closed.