The pet sitter got more pets than she bargained for

With the dead silence and filler posts lately, you might not believe that I have lots of meaty-ish things in the pipeline, but I do. They’re just waiting for me to be talked down from the … no, not the ceiling. That’s a bad place to be in my apartment.

(Warning: vermiform grossness ahead.)

I came home from holidays to find out a new bag of flour had apparently come with a bonus of mealworm eggs, which had hatched and were crawling on my kitchen ceiling in the form of mealworms. Lots of mealworms. Some of them turned into meal moths. It’s been a week since they hatched, the worms and moths have been evicted, the cupboards stripped bare, the kitchen scrubbed and disinfected, and I still won’t enter the room. And I still sit in front of the laptop and scratch at phantom creepy crawlies I imagine have nested in my hair. In short: it’s been hard to concentrate here lately.

Sorry, I feel the need to share the horror in order to spread it thin and have less of it for myself. I have a bad feeling I’ve just made it more vivid in my mind by putting it down in writing. But at least I can feel I’m not alone in my creeped-out-ness.

This entry was posted in It's All About Me. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to The pet sitter got more pets than she bargained for

1. wcdixon says:

ewwww!

So sorry to hear but still, ewwww!

2. Diane Kristine says:

I know! But see, I feel a little better sharing the disgust.

3. DMc says:

Aaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiaiieieeeeeeeee!

Uh oh.

That sounded a bit girly.

Can everyone just pretend that was a very deep, stentorian, booming, “ahhhhhh!”

Shit.

Worms are icky.

4. Mary says:

Sorry to hear of your “critter” problems, DK. Meal moths are, indeed, disgusting. Also terribly hard to get rid of, as they like to eat pretty much everything.

5. Diane Kristine says:

Thanks Mary … but you realize you’ve just guaranteed I’m never buying flour again? 😉

My cupboards still only have canned goods in them. It’s going to be a while before I get anything not hermetically sealed.

6. Mary says:

Actually, I’ve read that freezing will kill the foul little vermin and their demon spawn. So if you buy flour and put it in the freezer for a couple of days, then it should be safe.

Of course, you’re going to have to do that to everything you buy that isn’t in a can, or hermetically sealed.

7. Meldraw says:

Oh, ew ew ew ew. You poor thing!

I recall the time I discovered that the stray cat I had recently adopted (GenV) had a tapeworm. What tipped me off were the worm pieces still writhing. IN. MY. BED.

So, I feel your pain, sistah.

8. Diane Kristine says:

EEEW! I was going to say “you win” but … this isn’t a contest I want to get into.

I’d read that, Mary – that will be phase two of my recovery, I think. I’m still in the phase of avoiding my kitchen.

Comments are closed.