Here we are at a new year – a new decade if, like me and 99% of the planet, you prefer to celebrate when the odometer ticks over and not when math says you should.
I don’t generally make new year’s resolutions, but I’ve been thinking over the last few months about solidifying my business principles so this seems like a good time to call them my resolutions for 2020:
- Don’t be a jerk.
- Don’t work with jerks.
- Be authentic. Bring my true self to interactions so potential clients and I will know if we’re a good fit.
- Choose more projects that do good. Reject projects that feel wrong.
- Aim for variety. Pursue projects based on my eclectic interests and skills.
- Get to know other freelancers and their specialties for referrals when projects aren’t up my alley (and to create a sense of community).
- Maintain one pro bono client or other long-term volunteer commitment.
- Be able to articulate my value and my values.
Do you make resolutions for your business? And if so, do they influence how you communicate to your audiences?